Long Bar Pointe is the last unspoiled mangrove shoreline on Sarasota Bay – and needs your help.
A new housing development called Aqua by the Bay could threaten this irreplaceable treasure.
It comes up for a vote at the Manatee County Commission this Tuesday, October 3rd at 9AM.
By signing this petition, you will be urging the commissioners to deny the General Development Plan for Aqua by the Bay, and request any development follow the all the rules, including height, and environmental protection.
The General Development Plan would let Aqua by the Bay:
Dredge a lagoon 2½ miles long right behind the mangrove fringe. Erect a seawall behind the lagoon and allow 2,900 homes above this seawall - elevating the property to 13 feet. Over a mile of flourishing mangrove forest will be hedged impacting wildlife and a natural vista enjoyed by many and important to our tourism industry.
It is estimated over 70 high rises 90 -100 feet tall would be built, creating a wall of buildings never seen before in our County. More massive than what is seen now on Perico Island. The Planning commission recommended, denial but County staff made a last minute concession and now recommend approval, it is important the County Commissioners deny this project.
Reasonable Development Plans are already approved
Longbar Pointe already has been granted approval of 2 site plans that the environmental community and citizens accept as what type of development is considered reasonable. When Carlos Beruff's company sued Manatee County to remove our environmental protection rules, the judge denied his claims, determined these plans are reasonable and after appealing, Beruff lost. This petition is not against any development, it is against the proposal before the Board.
If the current request is denied, the developer still has these already approved site plans to profit from without the need of a massive high rise project that clearly has the intentions to still dredge a new channel into Sarasota Bay connecting to this 2 mile lagoon(canal).
Many experts have testified that this new plan would have adverse impacts on the environment, violate required rules for development, and destroy our unique character of Manatee County. Thousands of citizens have voiced their opposition, and attended numerous meetings providing the evidence commissioners need to deny this approval.
By supporting this petition,
- You let our commissioners know that our community stands firm against this approval
- You request your support of this petition be entered into the record and allow a representative of Suncoast Waterkeeper to represent your petition at the meeting
- You request the County ensure that the developer must comply with land development rules designed to protect our valuable environment and waterfront vistas
- You assert that the developer already has a reasonable use of his property by the 2 previous approvals, and there is no reason to set a precedent for this intense high rise development.
- and you request, most of all, that they deny this development.
What else can you do?
- Write a personal email to the Chair for the County Commissioners - firstname.lastname@example.org
- Donate to help our legal battles to protect the environment - Currently we are challenging several state permits that would allow the 2 mile lagoon(canal) and a mitigation bank that would allow credits to dredge a new channel into this project. We have to pay for a court reporter at the County meetings to preserve the record in order to challenge the County if they approve this development as proposed in violation of their rules. Just click on donate to help us protect our community.
Thanks for your help – Working together for the benefit of Manatee County :
Suncoast Waterkeeper, Manatee/Sarasota Sierra Club , Manatee Fish and Game, Serenoa Chapter-Florida Native Plant Society